The RCVS Practice Standards Scheme aims to promote the highest standards of veterinary care and regularly carries out inspections of practices allied with the scheme to ensure these standards are maintained.
Our main practice in Winchester is RCVS Accredited as a Small Animal Hospital. To be accredited to this, the highest level achievable, a hospital must meet all core standards and general practice standards in addition to specific hospital standards. These standards include:
- 24-hours emergency cover on site.
- Facilities to isolate animals with infectious diseases.
- A number of veterinary surgeons with additional qualifications reflecting more in depth knowledge of particular areas of veterinary medicine and surgery.
- Laboratory facilities on site used by trained staff.
- Continuing professional development (CPD) – all staff are required to undertake further training to increase their knowledge and skills.
- An excellent level of hygiene and protocols in place to minimise the risk of infection.
- A range of diagnostic equipment must be available including digital X-ray, ultrasound and endoscopy.
- The practice must strictly adhere to current Health and Safety regulations to ensure the safety of staff, visitors and animals.